Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
The Markham and East York Agricultural Society (Markham Fair) is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site or that we provide that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
- Fees will not be charged for support persons
We will notify customers of this fee structure through a notice posted on our premises and on our website at www.markhamfair.ca
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities; wheelchairs, accessible washrooms, Markham Fair will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed at the office, information booth and on our website.
Markham Fair will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained:
- Grounds Maintenance Staff
- Administrative Staff
- Paid Temporary Workers
This training will be provided to staff one month after hiring.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard’s plan.
- Markham Fair related to the customer service standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- How to use the wheelchair ramps, available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the Markham Fair grounds.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to your plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Markham Fair provides goods and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback by e-mail, verbally, suggestion box, website contact form or by letter to OADA Officer, Markham Fair, 10801 McCowan Rd. Markham, ON L3P 3J3
All feedback, including complaints, will be directed to our AODA Officer… Customers can expect to hear back in 2 working days.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of Markham Fair that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.